Managing Simon's armed forces is another aspect of the game mechanics that adds complexity. The composition of your army is represented by 2 stats:
- Size: A representation of how many people are in it.
- Quality: How disciplined, well equipped and well trained they are.
These stats determine which rewards you receive after the battle with the horde in Chapter 2 as well as playing a large role in determining the outcome of the various military conflicts that happens during the game.
Possible Recruits Pre-Horde[edit | edit source]
So far, it's possible to avoid getting any army but Orcent's band, and although the losses against the Orcs are heavy, that doesn't mean a Game Over but the reward list from the Horde Battle is minimal, and Carina's soldiers die. It also results in suboptimal outcomes and negative consequences in Battle of Yhilin, in the Third Arclent War, and in the Erosian War.
When you recruit Orcent:
- You start with an army of Size 3 and Quality 1.
- When you return to the farm during Chapter 1, Simon can talk to a recalcitrant orc in the storehouse. If Simon attempts to dominate the orc and his level is 12 or higher, you get +1 Quality. If Simon's level is below 12 or he chooses to fight the orc, you get -1 Size and +1 Quality.
- When you return to the farm during Chapter 1, Simon can talk to another recalcitrant orc in the farmhouse. If Simon attempts to dominate the orc and his level is 14 or higher, he can cow the orc for no change in army stats. If Simon's level is below 14 or he chooses to fight the orc, you get -1 Size.
When you hire mercenaries in the Outskirts of Ari-Yhilina:
- Hiring the Iron Cudgel: +2 Size, +1 Quality.
- Hiring the Dusty Horde: +5 Size.
- Hiring AriGarda: +2 Size, +3 Quality.
If you recruit the Succubi near Stineford:
- +2 Size, +1 Quality if you talked to their leader during Chapter 1.
- +1 Size, +1 Quality if you did not talk to their leader during Chapter 1.
If you recruit the group at Withered Mountain:
- +3 Size, +1 Quality if you convince 29 or more to join you.
- +2 Size if you convince 15-28 to join you.
Maximum values for Horde Battle:
- Size = 17
- Quality = 8
After the Reunion[edit | edit source]
If you've already invested in mercenaries in Chapter 1:
- You have to pay some upkeep to keep them on when you talk to Megail, but their bonuses are unchanged.
If you invest in mercenaries here, there are a few changes:
- AriGarda is no longer available for your army, but you can pay them 10,000 ProN to align with House Rose, otherwise they end up signing with House Adamant.
- Iron Cudgel has declined in numbers and is more desperate: +1 Size, +1 Quality for only 5,000 ProN.
- Dusty Horde is unchanged, but cheaper: +5 Size for 10,000 ProN..
Battle of Yhilin[edit | edit source]
See The Battle of Yhilin guide for the exhaustive list of all changes automatically applied to your Army Size and Quality at the start of Chapter 3.
Maximum values for Battle of Yhilin:
- Size = 30
- Quality = 14
Many modifications happen to your army's scores during this battle. There is no simple way to reflect those changes here. The changes to Size range from -13 to +7, the changes to Quality from 0 to +2, depending on your choices throughout the game and the battle itself. If you don't mind spoilers and looking under the hood of the game, visit the Battle of Yhilin to track the attrition suffered by your army during the battle.
Governing Yhilin[edit | edit source]
You are working with Balia to improve the quality of your orcs through breeding. To track your efforts, go to the Orc Breeding page.
If you fund Cities Mercenary regulations:
- +1 Size
If you fund Countryside Mercenary regulations:
- +5 Size
When you transfer Orcent's consciousness into a new body:
- If you cross 2-3 thresholds, +1 Quality.
- If you cross 4 or more thresholds, +2 Quality.
After Eustrin (Third Arclent War)[edit | edit source]
Orcent tells you the Size and Quality of your army. After that, he gives you his evaluation regarding orc forces, succubi forces, Yhilin regular army and mercenaries.
Before adding variables:
- Army Size × 2
- Army Quality +1
Orc Forces[edit | edit source]
Various variables influence the orc forces but Orcent only comments the orc strength.
|Orc Strength||Effect||Orcent's comment|
|≥ 12||+55 Size, +2 Quality||"Our orc forces have grown beyond all expectations. They form by far the largest bloc of our army."|
|10-11||+40 Size, +2 Quality||"Our orc forces have grown immensely. They form a powerful bloc of our army."|
|8-9||+30 Size, +1 Quality||"Our orc forces are much larger than when we took over Yhilin."|
|5-7||+20 Size||"Our orc forces are larger than when we took over Yhilin, but they haven't grown as much as expected."|
|# of Orc Seeds||Effect|
|6||+15 Size, +1 Quality|
If Orc Evolution is activated:
- +5 Size, +1 Quality
|≥ 80||+25 Size, +2 Quality|
|70-79||+15 Size, +1 Quality|
|60-69||+10 Size, +1 Quality|
Succubus Forces[edit | edit source]
Five flags (4 discretionary fundings and 1 quest) influence your Succubus forces:
- Succubus Brothel funding
- Local Succubus Trade funding
- National Succubus Trade funding
- Succubus Immigration funding
- Yarra's quest candidates = 10
|# of Flags||Effect||Other||Orcent's comment|
|5||+15 Size, +2 Quality||"Succubus Saturation" activated||"Yarra's recruiting has given us more succubus troops than expected, enough to support all other units."|
|4||+10 Size, +1 Quality|
|3||+10 Size, +1 Quality||-||"Yarra's recruiting has given us many succubus troops as well – enough to support more than just orc units."|
|2||+5 Size, +1 Quality|
|1||+5 Size||"Unfortunately, they aren't supported by as many succubi as would be ideal. We will be outgunned when it comes to sexual magic."|
Yhilin Army[edit | edit source]
Yhilin forces are also influenced by a long series of conditions; a hidden variable n is created to quantify the strength of your Yhilin forces.
Initially, n is set to 0.
|Yhilin score||≥ 25||n + 5|
|≥ 20||n + 4|
|≥ 15||n + 3|
|≥ 10||n + 2|
|≥ 5||n + 1|
|"population devastated" during
the invasion of Yhilin
|n - 3|
|Elven Ghetto improvement||n + 2|
|Infrastructure project||n + 2|
|≥ 50||n + 3|
|≥ 40||n + 2|
|≥ 30||n + 1|
|n||Army stats||Other/Orcent's comment|
|≥ 12||Size +30, Quality +2||The flag is activated.|
"Yhilin's forces are at least as strong as they were before the invasion. They should be able to hold Yhilin itself against attacks."
|≥ 10||Size +20, Quality +2|
|≥ 8||Size +15, Quality +1||"Yhilin's own forces have mostly recovered and are generally working together with us."|
|≥ 6||Size +10, Quality +1|
|≥ 4||Size +10||"Regrettably, Yhilin's own forces have not entirely recovered from the invasion. We will have to cover for them."|
|≥ 2||Size +5|
Mercenaries[edit | edit source]
If you hire Iron Cudgel:
- +5 Size
If you fund Cities Mercenary regulations:
- +2 Size ("Finally, the Crown has been able to recruit a small number of mercenaries we can trust.")
If you fund Countryside Mercenary regulations:
- +5 Size ("Finally, the Crown has been able to recruit a number of mercenaries we can trust.")
If you fund both Cities and Countryside Mercenary regulations:
- +10 Size ("Finally, the Crown has been able to recruit a reasonable number of mercenaries we can trust.")
Orcent's Conclusion[edit | edit source]
|Army size||Orcent's comment|
|≥ 200||"That's far more than I expected."|
|150-199||"More than I expected."|
|100-149||"About what I expected."|
|50-99||"Fewer than I expected."|
|< 50||"This is going to be rough."|
The Erosian War[edit | edit source]
At the start of the Erosian War, army size and quality is recalculated from zero.
The status of the Army depends of a huge number of variables, described above:
|Factor||Variable||Army Size||Army Quality||Comment|
|Core forces directly loyal to the Doom King|
|Old army size||≥ 225||+85||-||-|
|Old army quality||≥ 25||-||+30|
|Orc Diversification research done||+5||+3|
|Yhilin score||ON||≥ 30||+30||+2||"With Yhilin stabilized"|
|OFF||≥ 30||+15||+1||"Most forces in Yhilin are required to keep peace"|
|Tak'Kan score||≥ 50||+20||+1||-|
|≤ 19||-||-||"they were unable to provide meaningful support"|
|Monsters killed in Tak'Kan wilds||≥ 10||-1||-1||-|
|Tarran'Kan Slums remodeling||+5||-|
|Chalice States contributions|
|Chalice States score||≥ 50||+15||+4||-|
|Lustlord Temples expansion||+5||-|
|Gasm Falls water cleanup||-||+1|
Highest values for the main army:
- Army Size: 190
- Army Quality: 48
Then the calculations for the auxiliaries. These values will be re-calculated again at the start of Tower Crossroads 5, but you can't change any of the underlying variables (with one exception, during the first Zirantia section, Zirantia country score can be changed), so you can just note them down here.
|Factor||Variable||Army Size||Army Quality||Auxiliary Diversity||Comment|
|Arclent Acceptance||≥ 50||+30||+28||+2||"It is remarkable"|
|49-40||+25||+26||+1||"most have come to tolerate"|
|39-30||+20||+24||-||"many have come to accept"|
|29-20||+15||+22||-||"many have come to tolerate"|
|19-10||+10||+20||-||"skepticism about the Doom King"|
|≤ 9||-||+10||-||"fear of the Doom King"|
|New Givini score||≥ 50||+10||+5||+1||"a small group of knights"|
|49-40||+5||+4||+1||"a very small group of knights" + "exceptional"|
|39-25||+5||+3||+1||"a very small group of knights" + "impressive"|
|New Givini Mage Guild||+5||+3||+1||"their Mages Guild sent some mages"|
|ON||+10||+5||+1||"many volunteers of other races"|
|AND mercenary offices funded ON||-||+2||+1||"a few high quality mercenaries"|
|Stineford Succubus Tower||+5||+2||+1||"the succubi in the Stineford region are flourishing"|
|War Monument||+5||+3||+1||"a small but strong group of veterans from the war"|
while supporting …
|≥ 12||+10||+2||+1||"they could only spare a few"|
|≤ 3||-5||-1||-||"sent only a token force"|
|Old Zirantian League
|≥ 12||+20||+1||-||"a decently sized group"|
|Order of Silence score||≥ 100||+10||+4||+2||"small and extremely well-trained"|
|99-75||+10||+3||+1||"a small but well-trained"|
|74-50||+5||+2||+1||"a very small but well-trained"|
References[edit | edit source]
- They are more interested in working now, it seems.
- Also provides Orc items at the Bloody Spire. (2x Yhilini orc collar)
- If Tak'Kan score less than 20, no other Tak'Kan modifiers apply.